So, last time I told you I'd talk about my user photo. Yeah, I know it's weird. It is the long-dead ghost of a French general over to the right side, ignoring what's just below for now. (Unless you're on the mobile site, in which case my attempt at wit is fucked.) Perturbatory as it is, the image is emblematic of the concept albums written by a symphonic black metal band from the Netherlands. I find taste to be a peculiar thing; the musically narrative work of Carach Angren resonates with me in much the same way as horror movie narratives. And I have no clue why, other than, "it just does." I could talk about convincing plots and complex character design, but those attributes aren't genre specific.
I didn't ask to love lasagna. And if that's the case, the color gray, dull and unamused, must have chosen me, right? Nothing stops us from playing favorites in all of life's categories. I have no control over what appeals to me and neither do you, yet there are so many stigmas and dogmas that try to funnel our interests into dictated norms. So, that's weird. Why are some in society still okay with bashing someone's attraction towards a specific gender, when the satisfactory defense for liking blue is, "just because." Aren't those, in a way, the same? I know attraction is more complicated; all five senses playing key roles in orchestrating such a thoughtless determination, but think about it. The human brain has billions of neurons, deciding all of this for us. There's no way sexual preference is a choice. The Supreme Court did the right thing, but those who were devoutly against homosexuality before aren't changing their minds.
On sexuality in general, it's just dumb to me that we're still pressured to find certain body types of women and men appealing based on unrealistic standards. I know that we all want to find that special someone with beautiful [blonde] hair, a cute smile and that oh so particular bilateral symmetry that really gets heads turning, but I'm hoping we can move past the social pressures and be ourselves. I've had taste on my mind for a while now and managed 589 words this time. Wow, look at me go. 597 now, heyooo! Thank you to everyone who gave their feedback. I'll do my best to continue draining your life away a few minutes at a time. I think we had a great discussion in the comment section last time, but I think we can do better.
Next time, in a few unspecified units of time, I'll have thought about a new topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment