So while I'll be glad to get this year behind me, I’ve been asked my thoughts on what the good in 2016 was. I know, I know. What a shit year. Inspiring people dying left and right, joining Bowie’s alternate universe. Jaw-dropping divisions in the country leaving both sides asking what the fuck is wrong with the other. We’ve got continual war, crises, attacks, viruses… But surely there’s something good in this onslaught of disaster, right?
To depict the good I’ve had this year, I’ll stare at my bookshelf of nerdom for inspiration. Aligning myself temporally in my memories is nigh impossible, so I’ll do my best to go in order (and by do my best, I mean I’ll start where I think point 1 is then abandon the idea moving forward). I can tell from even trying to think about this year that I have a serious problem with event retention. I need specific memory triggers... Or maybe I just don’t do enough.
Quick intermission. I’m like a hoarder looking through stacks of paper, throwing fist fulls at a time in the air looking for something useful… Except this is all digital. And on Facebook. And I’m just sitting here scrolling. I wish I had actual paper. The memories are there, I swear. This is my struggle, the pain I go through for the craft. It doesn’t help that I almost never post on my own Facebook wall, lest I prate on about this mundane blog I’ve fooled you into reading. Maybe I need to start stuffing a “Feels Good” jar to keep all of the year’s events straight, but then I’d feel almost obligated to keep a “Feels Bad” jar for moments when people take cell phone videos during concerts, or text in movie theaters.
I feel if I start talking about the Black Friday TV I bought, and haven’t even had for a fucking week, it’s a good sign I’m grasping at straws and it’s time to wrap this up. (I’m aging my drafting process here. I take breaks, sue me.) Even the shittiest of years could never dampen the uncountable, wonderful memories I have with those I spend time with within family and friend spheres alike. From simple coffee and chatting to staying up way too late on a work night playing Overwatch, gaming side by side like the good old days, maintaining friendship has become a priority for me. And it’s one I aim to keep. This was nothing if not a year of personal growth; I can say I have a stronger sense of self and know my place in the world better now than ever before. The only way to go is up.
To depict the good I’ve had this year, I’ll stare at my bookshelf of nerdom for inspiration. Aligning myself temporally in my memories is nigh impossible, so I’ll do my best to go in order (and by do my best, I mean I’ll start where I think point 1 is then abandon the idea moving forward). I can tell from even trying to think about this year that I have a serious problem with event retention. I need specific memory triggers... Or maybe I just don’t do enough.
- Moving into my very own, first apartment in April. A place where I can finally have some peace and quiet, neighbor’s dog permitting.
- The release of one of my favorite game series, Hitman. (In looking it up, it actually occurred in March. My order is already ruined, but these digital letters are carved in
sotne. Shit.) - My favorite band, Carach Angren came in February. I’ve never been so tame at a metal show. There comes a time where no matter how loud something is, sometimes you can’t help but silently watch in awe.
- I can’t handle this temporal displacement.
- This has been in the front of my mind but I wanted to save it. I am no longer entry-level cannon fodder and have an actual job! I wouldn’t say I’m of the ladder-climbing Mad Men, but it’s something.
- Don't worry, it's not writing.
- Did I mention I gave up food? Well not really. In the strange domain of food replacement regimens, I’ve done a ton of research and have been immensely satisfied with the results. With Soylents’ Coffiest and 100%Food, I feel like I get
allmost of the required nutrients. My mom’s fitness coach wife has only managed to debunk one of these practices thus far. - Speaking of mom’s wife, she got married! I’ve been to hardly any weddings in my life, but this one takes the cake, or in our case, the croquembouche.
Quick intermission. I’m like a hoarder looking through stacks of paper, throwing fist fulls at a time in the air looking for something useful… Except this is all digital. And on Facebook. And I’m just sitting here scrolling. I wish I had actual paper. The memories are there, I swear. This is my struggle, the pain I go through for the craft. It doesn’t help that I almost never post on my own Facebook wall, lest I prate on about this mundane blog I’ve fooled you into reading. Maybe I need to start stuffing a “Feels Good” jar to keep all of the year’s events straight, but then I’d feel almost obligated to keep a “Feels Bad” jar for moments when people take cell phone videos during concerts, or text in movie theaters.
- I’m still damn proud of my blog on Star Wars. It remains my favorite movie and I still get hit in the feels when I see it. I haven’t watched it in a long while, so hopefully I can let the feels meter die down before giving it another go. Now with the release of Rogue One, they’re both fantastic in different areas, but I can’t say which is better. But Force Awakens is better. Yes, this is an emotional argument.
- On Thanksgiving, I got to sit down with my three cousins all together and talk for probably forty-five minutes. Most of you will see no significance in this whatsoever, but for me it’s huge. They have always been too young to really share any common interests with me and have lived in Oregon their whole lives. Now that they’re getting older, I really appreciated the chance to learn a bit more about who they are. This, alongside the Christmas I had, dubs this holiday season nothing short of sublime. Soon to add one more with New Year’s Eve tonight.
- I’ve spent more time gaming with my brother. It means a lot.
Here’s to next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment